in

Rose Gardening Community

A RoseMagazine.com Sponsored Community

Transplanting in the summer ... is it doable?

Last post 04-25-2007 12:21 PM by rosemary. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-01-2007 5:23 PM

Transplanting in the summer ... is it doable?

Hello,

My family and I are moving a few miles into a newer, nicer part of town and want to take our roses with us. However, July is brutal in central Oklahoma and I'm concerned that moving our plants will be a lost cause.

Our plants are wonderfully healthy caners that thrive in our scorching summers, but is transplating them too much of a shock?

Thanks in advance,
    Deke

• 01-01-2007 5:23 PM In reply to

Re: Transplanting in the summer ... is it doable?

What's the absolute worst that can happen if you try? Roses die and you have to buy new roses.

What's the absolute best that can happen if you try? Roses don't die and you continue to enjoy them around your new homestead.

• 01-01-2007 5:24 PM In reply to

I agree, Try and shock them as little as possible by digging as much of the soil around the roots as possible. In other words, try and disturb the roots as little as possible. Keep the roots moist at all times, this is probably the most important thing. Have the ground that they are going into already prepared so you can plant them right away. Then keep them moist.
  • 02-07-2007 5:47 PM In reply to

I live in zone 9 and have transplanted several roses with no problem as long as I strip every leaf from the bush. I don't know how many bushes you are transplanting but if its doable for you try it. Removing the leaves makes the bush go dormant and definitely makes it less stressful for the bush. The other suggestion of getting a large rootball is a good idea too. Hope this helps and good luck to you. If I ever move again I couldn't leave my roses behind either.

• 04-03-2007 12:55 PM In reply to

Might consider digging up and transplanting into pots and placed in protective shade for several weeks first.  Or transplant to the new location, but prepare a shade covering for several weeks until their roots can establish themselves.
  • 04-25-2007 12:21 PM In reply to

I live in North Texas, Ellis County, I transplanted a Madam Planitier Rose in July!  It is as hot here as Okla.  I had my hole ready and used lots of water.  I dug this large rose and then I had to tie a rope to it and tie it to my John Deer and pull it out!  Yes it survied, last year was its first full season in the new hole, but it did not bloom last year.  This year back to blooming again and growing great.  I did cut it back maybe by 1/3 to 1/2.   This Rose when I pulled it out was about 5 years old. Stick out tongue

It went from full sun to full sun.

I too would not want to leave my rose's behind.

Good luck,

Rosemary

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

Advertise With Us
Your Text Ad Goes Here
Let our Community know of your products and services. Your Ad dollars are well spent at RoseMagazine.com
http://www.rosemagazine.com/form/advertise.asp

Copyright © 2015 Rose Magazine Inc. All rights reserved.