in

Rose Gardening Community

A RoseMagazine.com Sponsored Community

aphids - more than I have ever seen

Last post 10-15-2018 4:26 AM by AntoniaMcElroy. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-11-2012 7:24 PM

aphids - more than I have ever seen

This year, my roses are covered in huge aphids, bigger and more in numbers than I have ever seen, especially so early in the spring. They cover not only the new growth, but the young leaves as well.

I already sprayed them with soap and  water. Many died, but new ones appear the next day. I am spraying soapy water every day, but it appears it affects the plant as well, or maybe just the darn bugs are killing it. One of the roses, a climber, is in such a bad shape that I am tempted to prune it back.I believe it will grow new shoots. any suggestions if this is a good idea or not?

thanks.

• 05-22-2012 8:09 PM In reply to

• sal
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-09-2007
    • Posts 22

Re: aphids - more than I have ever seen

I have had some aphids on my roses. Soapy water and water spray usually does the job. In your case with such an infestation, I would introduce ladybugs which eat aphids. I see that Home Depot sells Ladies in Red bag of live Ladybugs.

Quote from Home Depot site:

Protect your roses, flowers, vegetables, fruits and trees with the LADIES IN RED 1/3-Cup Ready-to-Use Bag of Live Ladybugs (3-Pack). Ladybugs eat whiteflies, thrips, spider mites, scale, and other small soft-bodied plant pests, including up to 80 aphids per day per ladybug. Ladybugs won't harm people, plants, or pets and can assist with pollination in areas where bee populations have decreased. Can cover up to 1000 sq. ft. for pest-free plants. Release in the morning or evening when temperatures are between 40 and 90 degrees. Lady Bugs - 3 Pk Retail About 4500 ladybugs

You can also buy them online from other sellers possibly at a better price.

rosemagazine.com=Ladybugs=B0057AZ9JU

• 06-02-2012 5:06 AM In reply to

Thanks Sal. I spent mornings and evenings cleaning the roses with my hand and soapy water and bought ladybugs from homedepot as well.

I thought I started to have them under control, but as I was releasing the ladybugs I spotted a whole bunch of fat ladybugs larvae on the leaves. I guess they are the ones who started to control the pests.

Now I just have to wait till the roses recover. They all look pityfull. Never seen so many aphids.

• 06-20-2012 11:15 AM In reply to

Wow! It sounds like you both had major infestations.  Where are you located? I live in N. California, and I have aphids as well, but I have just been spraying with water to control them.  This could change as it gets hotter, and more hatch. Good luck w/ the lady bugs!
  • 10-15-2018 4:26 AM In reply to

Thanks for suggesting the solution!

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

Advertise With Us
Your Text Ad Goes Here
Let our Community know of your products and services. Your Ad dollars are well spent at RoseMagazine.com
http://www.rosemagazine.com/form/advertise.asp

Copyright © 2015 Rose Magazine Inc. All rights reserved.