in

Rose Gardening Community

A RoseMagazine.com Sponsored Community

Moving a roses

Last post 01-01-2007 2:56 PM by Anonymous. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-01-2007 2:56 PM

Moving a roses

Hi-We recently moved into a new house. The previous owner has a huge climber but it has out grown its home. It now climbs into the red tips and over the fence gate and it is against the neighbors fence on the other side. I would like to move it to a better location. But in order to get near it dig I am going to have to cut it way back. Will that be ok and how exactly should I go about this process?
    Thanks for your help
    Mary
  • 01-01-2007 2:56 PM In reply to

Re: Moving a roses

One of my climbers that I moved 2 years ago is only now growing new canes. I thought the climber was dead.

First, prune back the climber by about 2 feet. Then cut out all diseased and old wood. Then dig it up making as wide and deep a hole as possible so as to not disturb the roots. Have your new hole prepared already with aged manure bonemeal and organic topsoil. Plant the rose in the new hole and water in well. Keep well watered. Don't expect your rose to do well in the first year after you move it. It will take a while for it to become accustomed to its new home. But after that it should do well again.

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

Advertise With Us
Your Text Ad Goes Here
Let our Community know of your products and services. Your Ad dollars are well spent at RoseMagazine.com
http://www.rosemagazine.com/form/advertise.asp

Copyright © 2015 Rose Magazine Inc. All rights reserved.