in

Rose Gardening Community

A RoseMagazine.com Sponsored Community

Shade and roses

Last post 01-06-2007 2:51 PM by Anonymous. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-06-2007 2:50 PM

Shade and roses

Hello all I just found this forum tonight and since I just dearly love roses of all kinds and am planting a few roses this year I have one question.....what is the best rose for a more shady area, it gets decent morning sun but not alot in the afternoon, I have a yellow tea rose and the leaves on it are starting to turn a blotchy yellow with like black spots on it, so my question is what is this funky discoloring ?and what can I do for it? and do you have any sugestions on what a good rose for shade would be I would really be greatful. Thanks Folks.
  • 01-06-2007 2:50 PM In reply to

Re: Shade and roses

The black spots you see is a fungus called, believe it or not, "Black Spot" which is common in many roses, including those grown in full sun. There are systemic fungicides you can spray to control its spread, but it will not eradicate already infected leaves. That's why a lot of people suggest spraying your roses every 7-10 days. I frankly don't have the time to do it regularly, but I do spray in the early spring after it rains and when fungal activity is high. Black Spot may disappear once dry weather returns. To reduce the spread of this fungus, do not water overhead - simply water at the bottom radius of the plant.
    All roses do better in full sun, but try these for partial shade locations that receive at least 4 hours of sun a day: Angel Face, Delta Queen, Zepherine Droughin, Love and Peace, Eutin, Iceberg, and Ballerina. I have had success with all of these in partial shade, but the blooms are not as prolific as they would be in full sun. You might want to trim overhead branches of tree to let more sunlight filter through the canopy to the ground. Good luck!

• 01-06-2007 2:51 PM In reply to

Single petaled roses do best in shade -- I have one called Erfurt -- it is amazing!! It gets very little sun --- three hours at best in summer and in the winter is in full shade. It also competes with Eugenia bushes for root space. It blooms constantly and has beautiful foilage. I do live in Los Angeles -- don't know if it would do as well in other climates.

Roses won't grow well or bloom in solid shade. If you live in the south or zone 8 and above your roses will probably do better in dappled shade than in direct sun. Especially, roses prefer their roots in shade and their growth in sun.
    In general, hybrid teas and floribundas despise shade. I've found that ramblers will accept light shade, as will Iceberg and climbing Iceberg, Zepherin Drouhin, shrub roses such as Ballerina and Darlow's Enigma (Heirloom roses carries this), hybrid musks and the rugosas. I plant old roses and hybrid musks in areas where they receive shade for part of the day, especially hot summer afternoons. I'm careful to never put old roses in morning shade, as they succumb to black spot.
    You can improve your chances by thinning branches to let in more light and reflecting light off a white wall or white gravel pathway.
    The common sign of roses with inadequate light are low bloom productivity, poor, thin stem growth and drooping bud heads.
    Most rose gardeners eventually run out of sunny spaces, and either experiment with partial shade or partial spade to make room for this year's coveted rose. My husband discovers that each year he has less lawn to mow.

Hello,
    I am a big fan of David Austin roses. For a semi-shade exposure, I recommend "Sharifa Asma", a fragrant, compact, disease resistant rose with light pink blooms. I have it in 4 hours of early sun with no sun after that and it blooms continuously with no sign of black spot.

Also for shade, "Mary Rose", "Cottage Rose" and "Winchester Cathedral" -all David Austin roses in pink shades. "Fair Bianca" is a shade tolerant white rose and "Graham Thomas" and "Golden Celebration" are yellow varieties you might like.

Happy Gardening!

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

Advertise With Us
Your Text Ad Goes Here
Let our Community know of your products and services. Your Ad dollars are well spent at RoseMagazine.com
http://www.rosemagazine.com/form/advertise.asp

Copyright © 2015 Rose Magazine Inc. All rights reserved.