in

Rose Gardening Community

A RoseMagazine.com Sponsored Community

epsom salts

Last post 01-05-2007 10:57 PM by Anonymous. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-05-2007 10:55 PM

epsom salts

when using epsom salts for your roses how much do you actually use for each rose bush, when do you apply it and how often?
  • 01-05-2007 10:55 PM In reply to

Re: epsom salts

Some sources suggest a quarter cup and others suggest approx. 2 tablespoons.

Epson Salts is used to provide Magnesium to the soil. Roses seem to be heavy feeders on this element. A soil test would be the only way to really know if your soil was lacking in magnesium, but most rose growers just apply a small amount per bush. You can sprinkle a couple tablespoons around the rose, or dissolve in in a watering can first and water in. If you are using a balance rose fertilizer that contains magensium, its probably not neccessary to ad more. WE tend to over-feed our roses at times. If your soil is light and sandy, feed more, if its rich or clay like, feed less..

hi all, i understand that the use of epsom salts is to encourage new basal canes. i am looking for advice with scheduals ect. for organic rose fertilizing in zone5. thanks for any help.
  • 01-05-2007 10:56 PM In reply to

Question -- At what time of year can Epsom Salts be used? Is all fertilizing supposed to be done in the Spring, or can fertilizing be done in the Winter, say after pruning? I have just pruned everything and would like to know what kind of watering/fertilizing I should be doing right now. Thanks.
  • 01-05-2007 10:56 PM In reply to

epson salts can be applied in March at about 1/4 cup per bush and again around June to provide the rose with magnesium.
  • 01-05-2007 10:57 PM In reply to

It is my understanding that Epsom salts (magnesium sulphate) is not used so much for the magnesium content, but more so for the sulphate which acidifies the soil. Since roses like acidic soils and with the increased pH, the plant is then more adapted for increased intake of nutrients. It is this accelerated intake of nutrients that promotes the rapid growth of new canes. I have experimeneted with this and have run into trouble with using too much Epsom salts. This caused rapid growth of very long, new canes which becamje very weak and they could sustain heavy widn, even when staked. I would advise using it only every second or third year, once your pH has been established.

Note that aluminum sulphate (available at nurseries) has exactly the same effect. I have used this product for raspberries and strawberries with astonishing results.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

Advertise With Us
Your Text Ad Goes Here
Let our Community know of your products and services. Your Ad dollars are well spent at RoseMagazine.com
http://www.rosemagazine.com/form/advertise.asp

Copyright © 2014 Rose Magazine Inc. All rights reserved.