in

Rose Gardening Community

A RoseMagazine.com Sponsored Community

Rabbits Eating Roses

Last post 12-30-2006 9:01 PM by Anonymous. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-30-2006 8:58 PM

Rabbits Eating Roses

We live in Central Illinois and rabbits eat off any roses planted not protected by fencing or planted as bare root roses. We have used pepper spray with very little success. Other than fencing does anyone know of something that will stop this activity.
  • 12-30-2006 8:58 PM In reply to

Re: Rabbits Eating Roses

What part of the rose bush do rabbits eat? How would a rabbit get up to the petals? Just a thought, if you planted a row of lettuce beside your rose garden, wouldn't the rabbits then eat the lettuce instead of your roses.
    Maybe this will work.
  • 12-30-2006 8:59 PM In reply to

A good yard dog keeps the deer and rabbits away for us but try these ideas.

Gemplers is a huge catalog that has some really neat items and reasonable. Garlic oil dispensers for deer and rabbits- have not tried but garlic does work on deer.

Fox urine- yes it is the real thing. They have the 30 day dispensers so you do not have to keep applying after a rain.

Scarecrow motion activated sprinkler. Water shoots whenever beam is crossed. Works well on yard dog.

Good luck.

• 12-30-2006 8:59 PM In reply to

Rabbits do not like onions. Surround your roses with onions and the rabbits will likely not go near them, they do not like the smell.
  • 12-30-2006 9:00 PM In reply to

I might try that. But then, are you not defeating the purpose of having beautiful fragrant smelling roses in your garden. Just a thought!
  • 12-30-2006 9:00 PM In reply to

Hi,
    I live in the Western suburbs of Chicago and the rabbits ONLY eat my Lilac/Mauve roses to the stalks. They eat the flowers, fallen petals, and leaves. I have seen them stretched up 12 - 18" to the top of my plant. I have moved the plant 3 times and they strip it everytime and ONLY that one. My reds, pinks and yellows they could care less about.
    I have tried fox urine, garlic, pepper. They will not be detered. I tried chicken wire and they dug under the fence.
    Any ideas would be appreciated.
    Thank you,
    Kelly
  • 12-30-2006 9:01 PM In reply to

Hi, just had this same problem but I found that a product called PLANTSKYDD Deer Repelent (also works for rabbits) did the job and it works for 6 months on dormant plants, it is also stated to be safe for the environment, plants and people. It has an oder until it dries...but no bunnies are munching on my fairy roses now
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

Advertise With Us
Your Text Ad Goes Here
Let our Community know of your products and services. Your Ad dollars are well spent at RoseMagazine.com
http://www.rosemagazine.com/form/advertise.asp

Copyright © 2014 Rose Magazine Inc. All rights reserved.