in

Rose Gardening Community

A RoseMagazine.com Sponsored Community

climbing rose gone "wild"-no flowers

Last post 01-02-2007 8:52 PM by Anonymous. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-02-2007 8:50 PM

climbing rose gone "wild"-no flowers

I planted 2 climbing roses last year. They took to the ground well and flowered that season. They got woody over the winter and in the spring, took a LONG time to start growing again. Closer to mid summer before they started sending up new shoots (old canes were dead). With a little support, they have gown TONS but NO BLOOMS. Was told that they have "gone wild" and would NEVER bloom again. Was told to pull them out and start over. Is this true? They look really healthy and have gown so well. Is there anything I can do (prune, fertilize) to switch them back to flowering?
  • 01-02-2007 8:50 PM In reply to

Re: climbing rose gone "wild"-no flowers

Me too. I have a Queen Elizabeth and New Dawn Climbing Roses. Also have Arizona rose bush that has blind shoots, no blooms just long stems. What should I do? All bushes produce healthy canes but no bloomers? Last year I even incorported Bone Meal and Rose food. But nothing! Why?
  • 01-02-2007 8:50 PM In reply to

I too, would very much like to read a reply to these two previous messages. Can rose bushes actually "go wild" and never again bloom?

Please help us.

• 01-02-2007 8:51 PM In reply to

most roses are budded onto a different rootstock. In the U.S. most commercial growers use a variety called "Dr Huey" as the rootstock and then bud differnt varieties on top of the Dr Heuy roots.
    Dr Huey is a climing rose with dark red flowers. So if one year you planted a yellow rose and the next year you get dark red roses, (or no flowers at all) that means that the top variety got killed over the winter and The Doctor Huey roots are sending up shoots. There are ways to prevent this. First you can winter protect your roses by putting an 18 inch or more pile of mulch or bark over the crown,then remove the mulch in the spring. Or you can buy own root roses. You can't get own root roses in most nurseies but you can get them mail order. They usually are a lot smaller than budded roses but they will catch up in a couple of years. Good luck!

My problem is very similar. I planted a climbing peace last year with several other climbers. They are all growing well and all but the peace flowered last year. I thought it just needed time, so I didn't worry and waited over the winter. It is growing beautifully again this year,and still no blooms. Do I give up and pull it out and go with a new bush? It is a beautiful bush, but I want flowers.

I have the same problem also. I planted a climbing yellow rose last year and it grew amazingly well. About 8-12 feet tall. I cut it back in fall to about 2 feet because it did not flower. But this year, same thing again. It is growing very tall but there are no flowers. Should I give it another year or do I have to rip it out and start over?
  • 01-02-2007 8:52 PM In reply to

Do not throw in the towel yet, most climbers get flowers on their previous year growth, also check your hardiness zone, if your plant is outside that you have to winterize the canes otherwise they die and you lose any flowering.

If your not willing to winterize them (cover them with dirt and debris by laying them down on the ground and covering them thickly with dried leaves and straw or whatnot then get rid of them.

some winterize climbers by taking the canes off whatever they are tied to then tie them together with cloth tie (no wires) and wrap them with b***ap and pack in straw then tie it on.

I can't imagine trying to lay my canes down as they are stiff and would probably break. Mine is a red something climber (maybe henry kensley and explorer, or blaze or some other winter hard red climber, it is in it's fourth year and I have never tied or did anything to them they didn't get any protection here in zone 5b.

Queen elizebeth is said to be hardy to zone five, but here is a little tidbit, maybe they handle cold but not whippy winds that can be very cold. Or maybe they are not what they are supposed to be, it is not unheard of garden centers mislabeling plants. I have had it happen several times myself.

If you have dr huey, then it would flower as dr huey is hardy to cold that is why they use it as graft for roses to grow in the northern united states. My guess is that dr huey blooms on the same year growth, but not sure. Also avoid pruning them, except for die back and sick canes or rubbing parts cause they grow on the previous year canes, except for a few exceptions, and as for the climbing peace it's root could of died or the graft, and also june is to early to tell, some flowers start in midsummer. but not sure of that too, since I am just starting out myself.

RR

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

Advertise With Us
Your Text Ad Goes Here
Let our Community know of your products and services. Your Ad dollars are well spent at RoseMagazine.com
http://www.rosemagazine.com/form/advertise.asp

Copyright © 2015 Rose Magazine Inc. All rights reserved.