in

Rose Gardening Community

A RoseMagazine.com Sponsored Community

multiplying buds

Last post 04-03-2007 12:31 PM by bankstoncw. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-02-2007 5:31 PM

multiplying buds

I have eight hybrid teas. The first blooms they produced this year were wonderful, big and healthy. After pruning the first blooms, though, most of my bushes are growing multiple, smaller buds on stems where one large bloom was before. Any idea what causes this to happen? Could it be the unusual amount of rain we've had in Virginia?
  • 01-02-2007 5:31 PM In reply to

Re: multiplying buds

I don't think it is the rain. It is fairly common for the 2nd fulsh of blooms to be smaller. It takes a lot of energy to produce the large blooms.
  • 01-02-2007 5:32 PM In reply to

Can you offer any suggestions on how to boost their available energy? I have fertilized, but none of my plants seem to be flourishing this year.
  • 01-02-2007 5:32 PM In reply to

It also depends on how genetically strong the rose bush is. Remember not all roses are bred for vigorous blooming, and you can fertilize them until you are blue in the face. I personally have had to throw out a few duds every year.
  • 04-03-2007 12:31 PM In reply to

Remember, too, that the side buds that you mention with the one central bud in the middle is very common and normal growth.  When the first young bud emerges, you can "side prune" the 2 side buds out by using the thumb and forefinger to carefully break or prune out the 2 smaller side buds.  This will allow more energy to be focused on the one remaining, central bud and you should have larger blooms as a result.  In addition, remember that as the temps rise in the summer, the blooms on average will decrease somewhat in size.  Largest blooms are during spring and fall.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

Advertise With Us
Your Text Ad Goes Here
Let our Community know of your products and services. Your Ad dollars are well spent at RoseMagazine.com
http://www.rosemagazine.com/form/advertise.asp

Copyright © 2015 Rose Magazine Inc. All rights reserved.