in

Rose Gardening Community

A RoseMagazine.com Sponsored Community

Tree Roses

Last post 03-20-2013 5:48 AM by jacksonlisa. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-01-2007 5:12 PM

Tree Roses

I have a tree rose planted in a large pot outside in NW Iowa. How do I care for this in the fall? Do I need to take it inside? I am in zone 4. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thank you.
  • 01-01-2007 5:12 PM In reply to

Re: Tree Roses

This winter keep it outside under a sheltered area. Wrap chicken wire around the base, fill it with leave, and the wrap with burlap. The pot should have moisture throughout the winter so the roots do not dry out. Bringing the rose inside is not a good ideas, it's too warm for the dormant period. Maybe in a garage if your garage has windows for light.
  • 01-01-2007 5:13 PM In reply to

I tried keeping a tree rose alive when I lived in NW Wisc by keeping it in the garage over the winter. One stem made it. You have to protect where the graft is. The suggestions that the previous poster made about chicken wire, leaves & burlap apply to the grafted area. I would bury the pot in soil & cover the area with thick mulch. You can also dig a trench & bury the whole tree rose -- lots of work. Good luck!
  • 03-20-2013 5:48 AM In reply to

I have also some plants of roses in my garden. I need to take care of it, so I visit rosemagazine.com . They give me some tips about it and now I was happy to visit my garden.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

Advertise With Us
Your Text Ad Goes Here
Let our Community know of your products and services. Your Ad dollars are well spent at RoseMagazine.com
http://www.rosemagazine.com/form/advertise.asp

Copyright © 2014 Rose Magazine Inc. All rights reserved.