in

Rose Gardening Community

A RoseMagazine.com Sponsored Community

Best time to transplant?

Last post 01-01-2007 5:07 PM by Anonymous. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-01-2007 5:04 PM

Best time to transplant?

I would like to know when is the best time to transplant roses from one place to the other?

Thank you!

• 01-01-2007 5:05 PM In reply to

Re: Best time to transplant?

The best time to transplant roses is when they are dormant - not actively growing - such as in the winter.

I'm sure we all have our own opinions on this but I'd never transplant in Winter but I live in CO and ground freezes. I go by when the roses are available - bare roots available in early Spring when the plants are dormant but the ground is thawed. This gives the plant time for the roots to get established and break dormancy. If you live is a warm climate you might be able to transplant year round without adverse results depending on the heat and watering you can do.

I have transplanted in summer and fall. Summer you have to be sure to keep everything well watered and in fall, I try to get the rose in the ground so it has a couple of months to get roots established.

new member and as you can verify , very confused , more about computer savy than anything else. trying to get the answer to transplanting roses in south central pennsylvania, when is best time and how to pointers. any suggestions? steve

I just transplanted my roses from one pot to another since the soil in the old pots when I bought them did not look very well - it was hardening like clay. Now it seems like the roses have drooped. Does this mean that it was not a good time to transplant them? What should I do now???

I'm just a beginner with roses...

Thanks.

• 01-01-2007 5:06 PM In reply to

You got it, bad time to move a rose bush. The rose bush roots are very sensitive and can be dammaged during a move. Wait for the roots to re-establish in the new soil. Don't over fertilize. The bush should revive.

Thanks for the info. So maybe I should cut off the flowers to ease the shock. Can I still spray some fungicide on them?

I learned by observing my downstairs neighbor. I thought it odd that she left her roses in the store pot, while I immediately transplanted mine. Guess who's bloomed longest, and most often? You guessed it- not mine. So this year, I've bought more rose bushes, and I'm leaving them in the store pot, (camoflaged in a basket), until the growing season is over, then I'll transplant them.
  • 01-01-2007 5:07 PM In reply to

Help I have great roses and must move this week what is the best way to transplant them in Austin tx. it was 104 degrees yesterday should I cut them down and ball the . As much as I would hate it I would leave them rather than kill them in the move , Please Help
  • 01-01-2007 5:07 PM In reply to

I live in zone 8 where the ground hardly ever freezes. I transplant in the winter. One thing that I have found helps the process is to root prune the rose about a month before I plan to move it. This gives the bush time to generate new shorter roots to help in reestablishment.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

Advertise With Us
Your Text Ad Goes Here
Let our Community know of your products and services. Your Ad dollars are well spent at RoseMagazine.com
http://www.rosemagazine.com/form/advertise.asp

Copyright © 2015 Rose Magazine Inc. All rights reserved.