in

Rose Gardening Community

A RoseMagazine.com Sponsored Community

Do roses change colors?

Last post 03-23-2016 1:50 AM by TraceyBonner. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-21-2015 12:56 PM

Do roses change colors?

I have a rose in a pot that I bought from a local nursery. It a Weeks Rose called Just Joey and is a Tea Rose. The label says that the blooms apricot but the first time it bloomed this year the roses were yellow but the ones blooming now are Apricot. Is this because the yellow ones were the first blooming and now the plant has matured so that the color is Apricot. I have never had this happen before so I am curious as to why. dedelein
  • 03-23-2016 1:50 AM In reply to

Re: Do roses change colors?

It is not unusual for roses to "change color." A minor change occurs when cooler weather intensifies pink-to-red shades, or age and hot weather fade them. The change of the color may due to the fact many roses are grafted, so the branches are one variety and the lower root system is a hardier rose. f those lower roots sprout branches, they may appear different in shap, leaf size and flower color. The third change happens when one branch actually has a mutation affecting blossom color. Many of colors started as a single odd branch, called a sport, such as the branch of pale pink roses on a Red Knock Out rose that became a new variety, Knock Out ‘Blushing’ rose when many buds from the branch were grafted onto other rootstocks.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

Advertise With Us
Your Text Ad Goes Here
Let our Community know of your products and services. Your Ad dollars are well spent at RoseMagazine.com
http://www.rosemagazine.com/form/advertise.asp

Copyright © 2015 Rose Magazine Inc. All rights reserved.