in

Rose Gardening Community

A RoseMagazine.com Sponsored Community

planting roses higher than ground level

Last post 08-10-2015 11:37 AM by perry. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-03-2015 3:34 PM

• perry
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-03-2015
    • Posts 2

planting roses higher than ground level

I have just bought a New Dawn climber which is about 2 feet tall. I want it to reach the top of a 4 feet fence.I also want some height in the garden i.e rose growing from height of 2 feet.

Could i make a square wooden surround. No bottom.. Loosen earth in ground. Fill up box with compost .Plant rose in my box and have its roots grow down to the ground. Would that work?

If not how could i achieve the aim

• 06-09-2015 10:41 PM In reply to

• jojo
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-27-2010
    • Posts 31

Re: planting roses higher than ground level

Yes you can. Gardeners to have raised beds. A boxed area of dirt a few inches to a few of feet above grade level, boxed in with a wall of bricks or cedar four by fours. Gardeners can now maintain their raised bed, like weeding without bending over as much, easier on their backs. Depending on how much soil in the raised bed, you may need to water more often since this soil is above the natural grade and the soil moisture in the bed will follow gravity to the ground. The raised bed soil will naturally be drier and warmer since it is above the ground. No different than growing plants in large pots, more watering is required.
  • 08-10-2015 11:37 AM In reply to

• perry
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-03-2015
    • Posts 2

Re: planting roses higher than ground level

OK thanks. Still did not get chance to plant it is in the container it came in. It grew a lot and one rose appeared but died off quick. Four more appeared but seemed to go all brown and die off before they got full size. There is a little bit of brown at the very top.

I watered it a few times but the soil does not feel wet. Too dry or too wet. It gets rain sometimes. I gave it some rose food

What should I do?

See pic here  http://s12.postimg.org/e794hrlq5/newdawn.jpg

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

Advertise With Us
Your Text Ad Goes Here
Let our Community know of your products and services. Your Ad dollars are well spent at RoseMagazine.com
http://www.rosemagazine.com/form/advertise.asp

Copyright © 2015 Rose Magazine Inc. All rights reserved.