in

Rose Gardening Community

A RoseMagazine.com Sponsored Community

Exploring new boundaries

Last post 06-20-2012 11:26 AM by rosehavn. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-26-2012 6:27 PM

Exploring new boundaries

Hello gardeners, My name is Wil and I'm trying to get into a new line of work. I currently am an ex-construction worker and unemployed. I have taken up gardening over the past few years and was wondering if it was possible to convert my hobby into a full-time career. The questions here are, can I turn a larger yield from certain roses? If so which types of roses? Is there a strain prettier than another? What qualities make a rose worth more? Which roses sell better in what season? Is there proper liscensing to distribute my roses? Who can I sell my roses to? How much are my roses worth? If anyone knows or has any experience in this field, any advice you have would be greatly admired. May your gardens be bless
  • 04-30-2012 8:32 PM In reply to

• sal
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-09-2007
    • Posts 22

Re: Exploring new boundaries

These are some very difficult questions. Most of us rose growers buy the roses, plant them and enjoy them and really don't care where they came from.

Hybridizers such as David Austin take a hardy native root stock (I believe wild rose) and artificially pollinate with pollen from a different variety. The root stock produces rose hips which are the rose seeds. They germinate the rose seeds, plant the sprout and produce a new rose bush variety. The hybridizer owns that rose. I don't believe you can reproduce the hybridizer's rose and sell it for profit. You would need to create your own variety. The perfect rose that I would buy is one the has beauty, sweet aroma, disease and insect resistant and grows in cold and hot climates. If you produce a rose with these qualities you will make money.Smile

• 06-20-2012 11:26 AM In reply to

Re: Exploring new boundaries

You can also start roses from cuttings, but you can only sell them if the patent for that particular rose has expired.  I think the patent for roses is 17 years. However, several excellent roses have expired patents, such as Double Delight and Peace.  Good Luck!Big Smile
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

Advertise With Us
Your Text Ad Goes Here
Let our Community know of your products and services. Your Ad dollars are well spent at RoseMagazine.com
http://www.rosemagazine.com/form/advertise.asp

Copyright © 2015 Rose Magazine Inc. All rights reserved.