in

Rose Gardening Community

A RoseMagazine.com Sponsored Community

Stunted Rose Growth - Causes?

Last post 04-19-2012 8:41 PM by jojo. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-17-2012 6:47 PM

Stunted Rose Growth - Causes?

Hi,

We are located in Danville, CA.  This Spring, we noticed one of our 50 or so roses did not sprout anything but small, reddish stringy shoots.  Not many at all.  They almost look like small examples of Witches Broom, or at least what we suspect are examples of Witches Broom.  Again, it is hard for us to determine if the small, stringy leaves are just stunted normal leaves that are not going to grow, or if we have a disease.

We also noticed on one other rose a similar condition, but it is less dramatic.  In fact, this rose is actually sprouting normal looking leaves.  It is, however, stunted too.  A third rose is growing out of the condition and is developing considerable foliage.  However, the canes are not as large as they were last year.

Our local nurseryman asked if we used Bayer 2 in 1 Systemic fertilizer pellets before the rose shoots had sprouted.  I think the answer is "yes" on the more heavily impacted plants.  We fertilized all the plants at one time, and most of the roses we treated had some shoot development.

Wanting second opinions, we found articles that described Rose Rosette Disease. The redness is a common symptom of Rosette.  However, we do not have the massive growth nor do we have large clumps of curling branches.

Our question to the forum is can anyone help send us in the right direction?  Can anyone tell us their experiences with Bayer 2 in 1 Systemic fertilizer and whether or not the comments made by our nurseryman are true?

• 04-19-2012 8:41 PM In reply to

• jojo
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-27-2010
    • Posts 31

Re: Stunted Rose Growth - Causes?

That Bayer product has an  insecticide called Imidacloprid which is classified as "likely to be carcinogenic to humans". Be aware that imidacloprid applications has sometimes contributed to outbreaks of spider mites and certain other pests. Do not apply imidacloprid to plants with cottony cushion scale because the insecticide is highly toxic to beneficial predatory vedalia lady beetles and its use can cause dramatic increases in cottony cushion scale populations. This info is from http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/TOOLS/PNAI/pnaishow.php?id=42

The outbreak of spider mites may carry the rosette virus around to all your other rose bushes. I try and stay away from chemicals in my garden and use natrual fertilizers. But then where I live there isn't a large variety of pests eating my roses.

I have never had the rosette disease on my bushes and can't be much help on your diagnosis. Be carefull that it isn't normal young shoots that start off bright red and eventually turn green.

With any serious rose disease my advise is to dig out the bush before it spreads. Wait a season before planting another bush in it's place.

Hope this helps.

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

Advertise With Us
Your Text Ad Goes Here
Let our Community know of your products and services. Your Ad dollars are well spent at RoseMagazine.com
http://www.rosemagazine.com/form/advertise.asp

Copyright © 2015 Rose Magazine Inc. All rights reserved.