in

Rose Gardening Community

A RoseMagazine.com Sponsored Community

Transplanting or moving Roses

Last post 01-01-2007 3:01 PM by Anonymous. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-01-2007 3:00 PM

Transplanting or moving Roses

We live in Northern Virginia. I have several rose bushes that I want to transplant within the next 30 to 60 days. We are moving but will remain in the NV area but they may need to be replanted into large containers. How soon should I start the transplanting and how should I go about it?
  • 01-01-2007 3:01 PM In reply to

Re: Transplanting or moving Roses

the time for transplanting a rose is when it is dormant, such as in the later fall, early winter. when a rose is growing vigorously you run the risk of killing it if you transplant it then.

I'm inclined to disagree Mary. You can transplant a rose anytime of the year that the soil is workable. Spring is best, when it is just coming out of it's winter slumber. The main thing to remember is, first cut the bush back to one or two feet, so it is easy for you to move. Also, you are going to be disturbing some of the root system when digging it out, so it will not be able to support a full size bush anyway. Once you've cut it back to a foot or two. Dig around the rose bush, getting as much of the root ball as possible. Gently lift it up, trying not to displace or loosen any of the soil clinging to the rootball. Have your hole in the new location dug, or if your putting it into a pot, have the pot (a big enough pot) ready to go, put a little potting soil in the bottom of the pot so their will be no air pockets. YOu will probably want to water daily for a few weeks, until you see new growth shooting up, then slowly cut back on watering to an acceptable level for your location. The main thing to be careful of is not displacing any of the soil around the root ball. If it's going to be in the pot for some time before you move, put the pot in a mostly shady spot in the garden, where it will stay cool and less likely to be damaged by hot sun.

You are both right. You can move a rose bush at any time. But! if you move it in it's growth season and dammage it's roots, you better expect some die back and bloom loss. If you are moving I suppose you have no choice.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

Advertise With Us
Your Text Ad Goes Here
Let our Community know of your products and services. Your Ad dollars are well spent at RoseMagazine.com
http://www.rosemagazine.com/form/advertise.asp

Copyright © 2015 Rose Magazine Inc. All rights reserved.