in

Rose Gardening Community

A RoseMagazine.com Sponsored Community

Neglected Old Roses

Last post 04-03-2007 12:43 PM by bankstoncw. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-01-2007 12:56 PM

Neglected Old Roses

Last year my beloved Grandmother (98 yrs old) came to live in Kansas from Iowa… along with her I brought two old roses one of which has significant damage to the joint. The roses have been neglected for years as my Grandmother was not able to get out and care for them properly, but already this year both bushes have new growth and seem to like their new home. Should the dead portion of the joint be removed... and if so how? These roses are at least 70 years old… I don’t want to loose them, but it is too early to attempt propagation, they are just not established enough yet. Any suggestions welcome.
  • 01-01-2007 12:56 PM In reply to

Re: Neglected Old Roses

i would just wait until next yeat to prune them. If they are repeat bloomers prune in early spring. If they bloom only once, then prune after the bloom! you can cut out any dead wood at theat time
  • 01-01-2007 12:56 PM In reply to

Thank you Nancy for your reply. I am going to wait until the rose is more established before attempting any major anything with it. I do believe I will attempt to propagate it later this season if there is good growth.
  • 04-03-2007 12:43 PM In reply to

I would be very careful even later.  Can you define "joint"?  If you're talking about cutting on the root crown or the graft (if grafted), I'd be extremely careful.  You might consult with your local extension service experts on this one since the risk for you is high (killing the bush).
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

Advertise With Us
Your Text Ad Goes Here
Let our Community know of your products and services. Your Ad dollars are well spent at RoseMagazine.com
http://www.rosemagazine.com/form/advertise.asp

Copyright © 2015 Rose Magazine Inc. All rights reserved.