in

Rose Gardening Community

A RoseMagazine.com Sponsored Community

Black Spot

Last post 06-24-2012 10:53 AM by Anonymous. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-26-2012 4:02 PM

• r0sebud
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-15-2012
    • southeast TX (Conroe, TX)
    • Posts 2

Umbrella [um] Black Spot

Here in zone 9, the humidity stays high, we've had frequent rains lately, and dew is usually very heavy, all contributing to that dreaded black spot.

I have finally gone in with some friends and purchased Compass to see if it's really that good and worth the money. Other than that, I usually use Mancozeb, Banner Max, and Neem oil on the roses I cut back recently. 

It would be nice to have some type of fan, or something of that nature, in order to circulate the air around the plants; however, that might be a difficult

feat, as my rose bed is at present 38' x 14', and expanding to 41' x 19'. 

Any comments or advice appreciated.

• 03-20-2012 10:36 AM In reply to

• Pac
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-20-2012
    • Posts 1

Re: Black Spot

Hi,

Try planting your rose bushes with enough space between them to allow for air circulation. I find that my roses planted in a bunch together get black spot, while the bush that has a lot of clearance around it does not. It drys out much quicker after a rain shower. Give this a try, it might help.

Filed under:
  • 03-20-2012 4:44 PM In reply to

• r0sebud
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-15-2012
    • southeast TX (Conroe, TX)
    • Posts 2

Re: Black Spot

Thank you very much for your insightful suggestion Pac ! Believe it or not, I’m still (yes, in March…..!!!) in the process of expanding my rose bed and making other improvements: one of my top “things to do” is to move several roses that were planted too close together initially; I’ll also be able to adjust the color spectrum of the rose bed when I do this. I had no ideal of the characteristics of any of my roses, but I had attempted to allow a minimum of 30” between plants; that’s good advice and works well in some cases, but 36”to even 40” allows for a lot nicer rose garden and and greater ease of access when working with individual plants, when doing such things as hand pruning, etc… I also made the mistake of being unable to resist purchasing a few plants for which I didn’t really have adequate room, and these were placed in areas that gave them and the surrounding plants inadequate space, and of course, I’m sure this did nothing to help the black spot problem either. Right now, I have 8 roses that were purchased bare root growing in the garage under a 600W grow light; 6 of these are yellow roses, as I somehow neglected solid yellow roses, and for some reason, went with several white roses (7 !). The other two are Stainless Steel and St Patrick (yellow, but with some variation). Again, thanks so much for the advice. I just joined ARS again, and they are very helpful, but words of wisdom from a fellow rosarian mean a great deal.

('Just changed my avatar to the Stainless Steel rose.)

• 06-24-2012 10:53 AM In reply to

Re: Black Spot & pruning

After some success in battling Black Spot, and taking all the precautions, I'm left with a rambler (about 5' tall) without any leaves.,Otherwise, right now, it looks "OK". Will I kill it or help it if I prune it back, say half way? There seems to be little info out here regarding pruning after Black Spot! Our plants are facing east and as such get the morning sun and we do clean up carefully and use Ortho's Funginex, etc.. We are located in the Shenandoah Valley area of Virginia. Any advice? Thanks.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

Advertise With Us
Your Text Ad Goes Here
Let our Community know of your products and services. Your Ad dollars are well spent at RoseMagazine.com
http://www.rosemagazine.com/form/advertise.asp

Copyright © 2015 Rose Magazine Inc. All rights reserved.