in

Rose Gardening Community

A RoseMagazine.com Sponsored Community

Help identifying old rambling/climber rose in Scotland

Last post 07-17-2015 1:50 AM by vaichuong. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-24-2009 12:54 PM

• Fiona
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-24-2009
    • Posts 1

Help identifying old rambling/climber rose in Scotland

Hello there, We are trying to identify an old rose which was growing in my uncles garden in Skye (West Scotland, quite far north). It was growing against a house wall, strongly fragrant, a deep red wine colour. The stem was covered in small, hair-like, sticky thorns - there were no large thorns on the bush. It was about 3 or 4 feet high. This was back in the 1960's. The blooms were quite small but full and flowered in the summer for quite a long period. The fragrance was very memorable and very beautiful. Can anyone help identify what this type of rose would be? Thank you in advance! F
  • 07-29-2011 4:59 PM In reply to

Re: Help identifying old rambling/climber rose in Scotland

From your description of the sticky hairlike bristles on the canes, it will be a Moss rose.
  • 07-17-2015 1:50 AM In reply to

Re: Help identifying old rambling/climber rose in Scotland

How gorgeous! I love moss roses! I actually have mine in containers but im going to try plant them on the ground instead. Are yours receding already? mine are. Also, how long have you had them like that? do they die or just go dormant? thanks. I collected seeds which im planning to plant in later on.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

Advertise With Us
Your Text Ad Goes Here
Let our Community know of your products and services. Your Ad dollars are well spent at RoseMagazine.com
http://www.rosemagazine.com/form/advertise.asp

Copyright © 2015 Rose Magazine Inc. All rights reserved.