in

Rose Gardening Community

A RoseMagazine.com Sponsored Community

Confusion re: Rose rootstocks

Last post 06-17-2009 7:39 PM by Wahrheit. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-23-2008 12:13 PM

Confusion re: Rose rootstocks

Hello,

In my 'new to me' garden there is a well established species rose (I assume a rugosa).  From below the

soil the is what would be a sucker, but it looks like a cultivated rose. I thought that a species rose would have been used as a rootstock,

not the other way around.  Is it possible that it has just been left for such a long time that the species has taken

over as the shrub? Or are the instances where a cultivated rose is used as a rootstock?

I want to prune this winter and not sure how to proceed with this dilemna!

Any help would be appreciated!

• 06-17-2009 7:39 PM In reply to

• Wahrheit
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-24-2009
    • Virginia
    • Posts 3

Re: Confusion re: Rose rootstocks

Many rugosa roses are hybrids, and not necessarily "species' roses. in many cases they are grafted onto rootstock such as the cultivar "Dr. Huey". The reason they do this is to keep the rugosa more upright, and less likely to sucker everywhere with it's sprawling tendency. Dr. Huey has hybrid tea type leaves, and that's probably what you're seeing. it blooms usually once a year, and it's flowers are red. These sucker shoots must be removed, or they will take over your rugosa that's grafted on top. Personally, i won't buy a rugosa that's been grafted because I like the hedge-like growth that a vigorous growing rugosa will give you when growing on it's own roots. Hope this answer still helps in time, seeing this reply is seven months later!
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

Advertise With Us
Your Text Ad Goes Here
Let our Community know of your products and services. Your Ad dollars are well spent at RoseMagazine.com
http://www.rosemagazine.com/form/advertise.asp

Copyright © 2015 Rose Magazine Inc. All rights reserved.