in

Rose Gardening Community

A RoseMagazine.com Sponsored Community

Shade tolerant David Austin roses?

Last post 04-03-2013 11:07 AM by kitabu. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-17-2008 10:54 AM

• Coco
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-17-2008
    • Posts 4

Shade tolerant David Austin roses?

Hello All,

I am interested in planting a rose bush in a spot that has some, but limited sunlight.  It maybe gets 3 hours a day.

Do you have any suggestions for a D.A. rose?

I have no preference in color, I'd just like that it be no larger than 4' high and maybe about the same width.

I live in zone 6

Thanks!

• 11-17-2008 8:00 PM In reply to

Re: Shade tolerant David Austin roses?

I like Ambridge Rose a David Austin. It is hardy to zone 4. A small rose bush 2.5' x 2', apricot-pink becoming pale pink toward edges. Very fragrant.

• 11-18-2008 6:11 AM In reply to

• Coco
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-17-2008
    • Posts 4

Thank you Gillian, it sounds lovely and I'm sure, smells lovely too! Also, thanks for your quick response.

• 11-20-2008 8:08 AM In reply to

Hello Zone 6

I too have tried growing roses in less 6 hours of sunlight a day.  For me, it is a matter of getting them out of the wind and cold.  I have some success, they do grow, they might bloom, and often the colours hold well, but it is all pretty weak growth, and the blooms are not what they should be in size and fragrance and abundance.

I am slowly learning that I don't have time to run a plant hospital.  If I can't give my plants the best situation ( soil, water, sun, temperature) then it is time to re-think the plant.

I love my Austins too, but some thing are not meant to be.  3 hours of sunlight is not a lot of sun.

Chris

• 11-20-2008 8:49 AM In reply to

• Coco
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-17-2008
    • Posts 4

Chris, I value your honesty! It's true 3+ hours a day simply is not enough sun and no, I don't have the time to run a rose hospitial!  I am re-thinking my steps and perhaps I'll put a happy hydrangea in that spot.  Problem is... I'm addicted to roses!!  Hee hee

• 05-14-2009 10:04 AM In reply to

Coco, I've found that too many roses need too much sun for that. BUT, I have an idea!  There is one particular rose that would do there... Hopefully the sun you get is more toward the morningside.

Check out Lenten or Christmas Rose (Helleborus orientalus).  they are evergreen up to zone 4, and bloom somewhere between January and March.  Beautiful plants, and shade-loving!

From,

A fellow rosarianCool

• 06-17-2009 11:32 AM In reply to

• Wahrheit
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-24-2009
    • Virginia
    • Posts 3

Smile [:)] Re: Shade tolerant David Austin roses?

chriscdavidt:

Hello Zone 6

I too have tried growing roses in less 6 hours of sunlight a day.  For me, it is a matter of getting them out of the wind and cold.  I have some success, they do grow, they might bloom, and often the colours hold well, but it is all pretty weak growth, and the blooms are not what they should be in size and fragrance and abundance.

I am slowly learning that I don't have time to run a plant hospital.  If I can't give my plants the best situation ( soil, water, sun, temperature) then it is time to re-think the plant.

I love my Austins too, but some thing are not meant to be.  3 hours of sunlight is not a lot of sun.

Chris

I have a rose that David Austin lists (although it's not his creation) called "Apothecary's Rose" ( The Red Rose of Lancaster) a.k.a. rosa gallica officinalis . Mine is growing in a spot that only gets 3.5 hr. of sun per day. Normally, this is highly undesirable for a rose growing location. Normally I NEVER recommend roses in situations such as this, but mine does great. It blooms once a year. It's very fragrant, produces hips, and it makes great potpourrri, as it is one of very, very few roses that retain it's fragrance in the dried petals. It's also one of the oldest (if not the oldest) of the known cultivated roses. This one supposedly dated back to before the Roman empire. I received a cutting in the mail, and although I had no room for it, I stuck it in the only space i had, which is where it is now. I was going to just put it in a very large pot in a sunny location, but I thought I would give it a try in this un-sunny location. To my surprise, it actually does far better than I thought. here's a link: http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/pl.php?n=55549
  • 04-03-2013 11:07 AM In reply to

• kitabu
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-03-2013
    • Posts 3

Don't give up Coco! - I had a similar problem - I wanted a DA rose for my city garden which is surrounded by high buildings and so gets around three hours of sunshine max and I found the perfect one in the Generous Gardener (at least that's what it's called in the UK) which was recommended for a shady spot by David Austen themselves. it's a beautiful water-lily shaped flower (repeat flowering) in pale pink and can be grown as a bush or a small climber and has a nice fragrance. I planted the bushes in 2011 and they flowered from July to September the first year and put on quite a bit of growth.Last year they put on a very good spurt of growth and flowered all summer.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

Advertise With Us
Your Text Ad Goes Here
Let our Community know of your products and services. Your Ad dollars are well spent at RoseMagazine.com
http://www.rosemagazine.com/form/advertise.asp

Copyright © 2015 Rose Magazine Inc. All rights reserved.