in

Rose Gardening Community

A RoseMagazine.com Sponsored Community

direct sunlight and roses

Last post 05-11-2010 12:48 AM by Archidixon. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-06-2008 7:56 AM

direct sunlight and roses

I am new to this forum and new to roses.  I have wanted a rose garden for a long time now and finally going to put one in.  The question that I have is how much is too much sunlight.  The spot I would like to plant them gets several hours of direct morning sun but also gets afternoon sun.  Is shade required for roses.  I live in SW Ohio.  The spot I chose also has great air circulation because there are no trees or bushes to hamper the circulation..  Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks Beth

• 11-20-2008 11:35 AM In reply to

Re: direct sunlight and roses

Hi Beth,

Direct sun - it is the best for roses, but

please avoid to plant roses near a wall.(there it is to dry)

you must water your roses 2 a day ; also because of windy weather; I cant say something about the climate in Ohio, but in Germany it is nearly the same: rose need sun, water, well prepared soil(every year!) fertiliser and love

I have 108 roses in my garden, it is great in june to smell them.

But it is also an expensive hobby. I only buy roses of best quality.Think about 3 or 4 roses of the same kind per qm. It is great to watch them  every time. 

good luck

Ute from Germany

• 05-11-2010 12:48 AM In reply to

Re: direct sunlight and roses

Roses grow at its best if they get proper sunlight and water. For roses to be healthy, at least  5 to 6 hours of sunlight is necessary. For roses, a small type of shade is enough. It is required to protect the roses from heavy rain and air storms.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

Advertise With Us
Your Text Ad Goes Here
Let our Community know of your products and services. Your Ad dollars are well spent at RoseMagazine.com
http://www.rosemagazine.com/form/advertise.asp

Copyright © 2015 Rose Magazine Inc. All rights reserved.