in

Rose Gardening Community

A RoseMagazine.com Sponsored Community

DAVID AUSTINS AS CUT FLOWERS - THE MOST SUITABLE

Last post 07-30-2011 12:28 PM by Strawberryhill. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-13-2007 8:44 PM

DAVID AUSTINS AS CUT FLOWERS - THE MOST SUITABLE

• 07-30-2011 12:28 PM In reply to

Re: DAVID AUSTINS AS CUT FLOWERS - THE MOST SUITABLE

I live in zone 5a.  Wise Portia makes the best cut flower, lasts for 4 days in hot weather, and 5 days in cooler weather.  It looks nicer as it ages, and the wonderful old rose fragrance doesn't fade much.  Wise Portia is my best looking bush now with pretty leaves.  The color is mauve, medium purple and fades to a light lavender at the edges. 

Golden celebration is OK as cut flower, it can perfume the whole house (first picked smells like honey, as it ages it changes to fresh cupcakes, then lychee - it's like eating a dessert with no calories !!!).

The worst Austin cut flower is Mary Rose.  First, my finger got pricked by the thorns.  Second, it flops in the rain.  Third, it lasts the most 2 days.

I have a hard time deciding what red Austin to get for my Zone 5a:  Falstaff, Tess the d'Uverville, L.D. Braithwate, Benjamin Britten, or Summer Song.  I want fragrance, reblooming, and a good cut flower for the house.    If you have experience with the above, please let me know.  Thanks.

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

Advertise With Us
Your Text Ad Goes Here
Let our Community know of your products and services. Your Ad dollars are well spent at RoseMagazine.com
http://www.rosemagazine.com/form/advertise.asp

Copyright © 2015 Rose Magazine Inc. All rights reserved.