in

Rose Gardening Community

A RoseMagazine.com Sponsored Community

Sudden frost killed my rose bush?

Last post 05-14-2007 1:35 PM by john. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-12-2007 10:53 AM

Sudden frost killed my rose bush?

I'm in st Louis, and spring came early, and my Joseph's Coat rose had started to leaf.  We'd bought it new last year, and it flowered wonderfully last season.

Anyway, about a month ago, we had an unexpected frost, about 20 degrees or so for a few nights.  This killed the leaves on the rose, and the ends of the branches are black/very dark brown.  I'd heard on the radio that the best thing to do was leave it be, and it shoudl recover, but there's no sign of life at all.

any suggestions?

Timothy 

• 05-14-2007 1:35 PM In reply to

• john
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-13-2007
    • Posts 57

Re: Sudden frost killed my rose bush?

I would definately prune it back to about 1 foot from the ground. If there is any life in it, you should start seeing some shoots coming from the bud union in the next few weeks. Keep it watered and fertilize with liquid rose fertilizer at 1/4 to 1/2 strength till you see it growing. I also had a Graham Thomas rose that I thought for sure was dead, but I pruned it back severely and now it has about 20 shoots coming from the bottom.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

Advertise With Us
Your Text Ad Goes Here
Let our Community know of your products and services. Your Ad dollars are well spent at RoseMagazine.com
http://www.rosemagazine.com/form/advertise.asp

Copyright © 2015 Rose Magazine Inc. All rights reserved.