in

Rose Gardening Community

A RoseMagazine.com Sponsored Community

homemade recipes?

Last post 02-15-2011 11:22 PM by Amy Hess. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-31-2007 3:39 PM

• sljung
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-31-2007
    • Posts 1

homemade recipes?

Hi,

I live in Southern California and am looking for homemade and/or organic recipes for pests.  I have several for blackspot, rust, powdery mildew but am coming up short in the pest area, particulary aphids.  I don't want to send away for any products.  I have heard of a mixture of 1/2 listerine and 1/2 water, has anyone tried it?  Is there anything else someone else has tried and been successful?  Thank you!  

• 03-31-2007 9:21 PM In reply to

• john
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-13-2007
    • Posts 57

Re: homemade recipes?

I have also tried Listerine.  But, simply using water pressure from a hose and spraying the rose leaves will wash off the aphids.

Give it a try. Smile
  • 10-09-2010 9:09 AM In reply to

Dish soap will work very well for pest control. 1 teaspoon per gallon of water and sprayed with a garden sprayer or a spritz bottle. Stay away from the anti bacterial soaps though.
    Red pepper spray works good for critters like the 4 legged kinds.
    Many organic gardeners will plant flowers that attract good bugs to their gardens that are predators of the bugs that do harm.
    As long as you keep a good look out at your plants you can usually keep most bugs off them by picking them off by hand. Also a good shot of water from the hose will work well.
    Good luck with your war on bugs.
    PS don't use any tobacco products in your garden. tobacco contains diseases that will kill your tomato plants. Baker is a joke in the gardening world.

• 02-15-2011 11:22 PM In reply to

Hi,

I live in So Cal also. I don't like to spray water on my roses as it makes them more likely to create problems like rust and mildew.

To get rid of aphids I gently knock them off by hand. They tend to be on the new buds and can easily just give them a gentle flick.

Dawn dish soap works well too.

Good luck.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

Advertise With Us
Your Text Ad Goes Here
Let our Community know of your products and services. Your Ad dollars are well spent at RoseMagazine.com
http://www.rosemagazine.com/form/advertise.asp

Copyright © 2015 Rose Magazine Inc. All rights reserved.