in

Rose Gardening Community

A RoseMagazine.com Sponsored Community

Transplanting in Fall?

Last post 01-06-2007 1:54 PM by Anonymous. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-06-2007 1:53 PM

Transplanting in Fall?

Because of a renovation project I am faced with having to transplant an old rose bush that was established on our property. Since we did not plant this rose I am not sure of the exact variety but it has the appearance of a rugosa. Can I successfully transplant in fall and what precautions should I take to make sure that it survives the Pennsylvania winter.
  • 01-06-2007 1:53 PM In reply to

Re: Transplanting in Fall?

I live in SW Michigan which is Zone 5 and have had good luck transplanting rose bushes during all seasons. I once severely pruned a yellow rugosa that was too large for its location and dug it up in October. When all of the leaves fell, I mulched it heavily and in the spring it was back bigger and better than ever. Good luck.
  • 01-06-2007 1:54 PM In reply to

Re: Transplanting in Fall?

I have transplanted many roses in the fall including hybrids and austins. Prune them back before you dig them out and replant them in good quality soil and manures. They will be even better in the next year.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

Advertise With Us
Your Text Ad Goes Here
Let our Community know of your products and services. Your Ad dollars are well spent at RoseMagazine.com
http://www.rosemagazine.com/form/advertise.asp

Copyright © 2014 Rose Magazine Inc. All rights reserved.