in

Rose Gardening Community

A RoseMagazine.com Sponsored Community

Growing roses from cuttings

Last post 01-06-2007 1:37 PM by Anonymous. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-06-2007 1:30 PM

Growing roses from cuttings

I've been reading about starting Roses from cuttings. I was wondering if you could do this from the roses you get from a florist. Seems like an inexpencive way to start a variety of rose bushes. Buy a single stem rose from a florist and come home and start it growning. Any reason this wouldn't work? Do they treat them with something that would prevent rooting it? Any insight would be greatly appriciated!! Thanks!

Cristi

• 01-06-2007 1:31 PM In reply to

Re: Growing roses from cuttings

As far as I understand it, florist roses are generally not good candidates for rooting. They are usually not very hardy plants and most need to be grown in a green house. The antique or old shrub roses would be much better for rooting, since most of them grow on their own roots any ways.
  • 01-06-2007 1:31 PM In reply to

I think it's hard for the plant to go from cut flowered state back to a vegetative state, but what do I know. Think I'll give this one a try. If you have any input, please reply. Think I'll take the cutting and dip it in a cloning gel, then try to get it to root in an warmed aeroponic system. Not about to use rockwool...yek
  • 01-06-2007 1:32 PM In reply to

I was reading the replies about florist roses and using them as a cutting to propogate roses. I am currently experimenting with three roses from a florist ( the flower hold a symbolic meaning for me) and actually, I left the bloom on, covere two red roses with an inverted soda plastic bottle, and a white rose with an inverted perserving jar. That was on Sept. 17, the two rose blooms are just now deteriorating, however, the white rose is still in a perserved state as it was on September 17, 2003. It is now November 1 and I am wondering if anyone can explain why this white rose has survived in this state for almost 7 weeks. I am truly an amateur but even I know there's something special going on. I live in and are 5-6 and with winter coming I wouln't be suprised if I get to call this rose the Frozen Rose.

This is really interesting about the white rose. Please let us know what happens and if it does start to root. You may be on to something!

well, i thought i had a freak about five months ago my boyfriend got me a rose from 7-11, i put it in a cleaned out 1/2 pint jack daniels bottle on the windowsill & it started sprouting new leaves, so when the flower died i cut it off, wrapped the bottle in tinfoil so that the bottom could devolp roots in the dark & the thing started shooting up like a damn weed!!! just yesterday i potted it in miricle grow soil & i was litteraly shocked when i took the stem out of the bottle... the roots were about THREE INCHES LONG. it's become a symbol of our Love & i just stopped by here 2 see what i could learn about keeping it healthy & eventually having it blossom & bloom again. any tips?!
  • 01-06-2007 1:33 PM In reply to

i grew a rose from a single stem from the florist.you take the bottom leaves of , cut just below the node.put in small contaner with soil that is slightly moist.take a clear bag ,put the pot in the bag.take a straw blow up the bag ,with your air.twist tie it closed.put in a window ,with a piece of white paper to block the sun .the rose needs bright inderect light.you need to put your air in when ever needed, never water ,there is enough humidity in you air.when the rose has roots then slowy take the bag off 4 a little bit each day longer and longer.you can let it grow outside inthe summer,but you must bring it in the first winter
  • 01-06-2007 1:34 PM In reply to

At my best friends wedding last May, I took roses from my bouquet and some from her bouquet to try and root them. They were gorgeous champaign and duotone red roses.

I cut off the tops, cut the stems into 5-6 inch lengths, placed them into a pot with moist soil, and put a glass jar on them. I kept them in indirect sunlight, under a slightly shaded plant, and by the summer they had started to root.

In the fall I took them to my mom's house to winter, and I believe that she had buried the pot and all, and covered it with straw. I will let you know if they managed to survive the winter, but they looked very healthy by the fall.

I hope they survive, as it would be a great momentum of my best friends wedding.

My Mother used to grow roses from cuttings, so I gave it a shot--I mean florists' cuttings as well as outdoor finds. I stuck the ends in rooting hormone, then shoved them in the ground (last Fall). They looked really dead to me after several months, so I ripped them out. This Spring I discovered one I had missed, and lo and behold it is growing!! The cuttings were about 2 inches long, and I tried to get at least one leaf joint per cutting. Give it a shot! It's cheap to try, and if you only get one or two it's worth it!

hi ,I just got my frist bloom , from the rose ,i grew from a steam.its a gorgous yellow ,frosted with bright orange .It was worth every breath of fresh air ,that i blew in his bag.
  • 01-06-2007 1:35 PM In reply to

Years ago, I took several cuttings of my willow tree and put them in a vase of water on my kitchen table. I went to visit my mother in law and she asked me to prune her roses, so I did. I ended up grabbing a few extra cuttings for my new garden and stuck them in with the willow cuttings. Only one of my rose cuttings survived and when my mother in law passed away, I planted that cutting in her yard. Even after three years of being mowed over 12 dozen times by my 16 year old son, that little cutting is still trying to grow. It will be just lovely once he stops mowing over it!
  • 01-06-2007 1:35 PM In reply to

Yes I would like to know how to start a rose as well. I had a piece of my rose bush break off so I stuck it in the ground the whole piece which was last year. This year I do have a small rose bush growing I am hoping that it will get bigger but I am not sure. If you have any other ideas that would be great to know as well and if mine works I will let you all know. I know that my great grandmother used to just put it where she wanted it to grow and then she would put a glass jar over it and they would grow like weeds! She had the nicest roses bushes ever. But know one knows how she did it or how much she would put in the ground or anything.
  • 01-06-2007 1:37 PM In reply to

I've posted this link before. But before I post it again, your rose should do fine if it is a small bush already. It will grow, and one day be as big as your other rose of the same type. So no worries on that one. My favorite way to root, and with the highest success rate, can be found at this link:

http://rdrop.com/~paul/hulse.html

I started 6 roses this way this spring. 5 of them have rooted and are now in pots. The 6th disappeared into la la land. I think it was the Shitzu Bandit (My Moms dog) that dragged it off and chewed it up. Otherwise I would have had a 100% success rate.

The GardenGuy

Thank you Garden Guy. I have read a dozen or more articles about rooting and was lost on every one of them. Your referal cleared everything up for me. I am walking outside now with my baggies in hand. THanks again!!!!!!

hi, garden guys right ,do every thing he says ,there just one more tip that might help.you want to cut the leaves, not off ,but so each leave makes a triangle.so the points are facing out .the reason you do that is to tell the plant ,it not time to pruduce leaves its time to grow roots.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)

Advertise With Us
Your Text Ad Goes Here
Let our Community know of your products and services. Your Ad dollars are well spent at RoseMagazine.com
http://www.rosemagazine.com/form/advertise.asp

Copyright © 2015 Rose Magazine Inc. All rights reserved.