in

Rose Gardening Community

A RoseMagazine.com Sponsored Community

PEACE ROSE

Last post 01-05-2007 11:16 PM by Anonymous. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-05-2007 11:15 PM

PEACE ROSE

I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH MY "PEACE" ROSE. (HYBRID TEA)AT FIRST, I HAD SIX BLOOMS THEY WERE ALL BEAUTIFUL AND NOW I HAVE NOTHING (THAT WAS THREE WEEKS AGO) THERE ARE NO NEW GROWTHS--NOT ONE NEW LEAF! IT JUST QUIT GROWING! I FEED IT, SPRAY IT AND IT GETS PLENTY OF SUN AND WATER. ALSO, I PICK ALL OF THE DRIED AND SPOTTED LEAVES OFF AND DISCARD THEM. WHAT COULD BE WRONG?
  • 01-05-2007 11:15 PM In reply to

Re: PEACE ROSE

Roses go through a resting period in August and then make new growth again in September.
  • 01-05-2007 11:15 PM In reply to

You're in large company if you're having trouble with Peace. I'm spading mine this year and putting in new stock, virus-indexed, from Europe.
    The strain of Peace that has been propagated here in the United States is a pale shadow of the European Peace. I believe that the problem is similar to over-popular dog breeds; too weak a strain. I bought my new Peace roses from Heirloom Roses, this is the first year they have offered them.
    Peace also seems sensitive to salt build-up in the soil from fast-grow fertilizers, my friends who use organics have better Peace roses than those who have grown roses for a long time with chemical fertilizers. They need a rose feed which has low nitrogen with sulfer of potash in late winter or their growth is soft and a bug-feast.
  • 01-05-2007 11:16 PM In reply to

You may also want to think about a small pruning to promote new growth. Every once and a while they need a "haircut." Prune at a slant an inch above an outward facing leaflet that has five leaves on it. Don't be afraid to prune after each flowering. Keep up with the fertilizing when the new growth starts. Peace is one of my favorites.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

Advertise With Us
Your Text Ad Goes Here
Let our Community know of your products and services. Your Ad dollars are well spent at RoseMagazine.com
http://www.rosemagazine.com/form/advertise.asp

Copyright © 2015 Rose Magazine Inc. All rights reserved.