in

Rose Gardening Community

A RoseMagazine.com Sponsored Community

Planting a Climbing Blaze

Last post 01-03-2007 7:46 PM by Anonymous. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-03-2007 7:45 PM

Planting a Climbing Blaze

I've read different things about how to support climbing roses. Some say make the canes horizontal to get more flowers, others say just tie them to a support.

With the Climbing Blaze, do the branches need to be horizontal or can they just by tied vertical on my supporting structure?

Thanks - Rhonda

• 01-03-2007 7:45 PM In reply to

Re: Planting a Climbing Blaze

No the branched do not need to be horizontal. Climbers should be trained to climb in the direction to compliment the structure, such as a trellis or over an arched door way. It's up to your creativity on what shape your climber will take.
  • 01-03-2007 7:46 PM In reply to

It is true that you can just tie up the climbing rose branches any way you want, but if you loop them or tie them horitontal then you will get hundreds of new branches along the canes. This in turn will give you more vigouous blooming.
  • 01-03-2007 7:46 PM In reply to

I have been bending my Blaze canes since the rose was planted 4 years ago and I get hundreds of blooms! It doesn't have to be bent that much, even just a gentle curve causes sprouts to emerge along the stem. I also recently read an article in which the grower described zig-zagging the stems across the trellis, which also produces multiple blooms.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

Advertise With Us
Your Text Ad Goes Here
Let our Community know of your products and services. Your Ad dollars are well spent at RoseMagazine.com
http://www.rosemagazine.com/form/advertise.asp

Copyright © 2015 Rose Magazine Inc. All rights reserved.