in

Rose Gardening Community

A RoseMagazine.com Sponsored Community

Climbing rose

Last post 01-03-2007 7:43 PM by Anonymous. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-03-2007 7:42 PM

Climbing rose

Hi.

I have a ten year old climbing rose that has grown very tall (close to fifteen feet. It used to flower a great deal throughout the entire plant. This year, however, it only flowered at the top and not as exuberantly as in the past. Now, in late summer, the plant appears to be very stressed. We had a late spring (I leave in southeastern Michigan). In addition, we have had a very cold and wet summer. Should I prune the plant heavily in early fall? Should I prune it heavily in the spring instead? How can I get the bush to recover and produce new canes?

Thank you for your advise.

• 01-03-2007 7:43 PM In reply to

Re: Climbing rose

I would suggest that you prune your climber. Start by cutting out all old wood. Then cut all other canes by 1/4.

I know this is an old posting, but can someone tell me how you can tell what "old wood" is on a rose bush??? I am new to roses and I have no idea how to take care of the roses in our yard, so I am trying to read up on what to do. I know I need to cut old wood, but am afraid that I really don't know how to tell what's old and what's new.

Old wood is the dead dried out canes from the year before. No use leaving them in the new growth this year. You can cut it out any time.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

Advertise With Us
Your Text Ad Goes Here
Let our Community know of your products and services. Your Ad dollars are well spent at RoseMagazine.com
http://www.rosemagazine.com/form/advertise.asp

Copyright © 2015 Rose Magazine Inc. All rights reserved.