in

Rose Gardening Community

A RoseMagazine.com Sponsored Community

Planing new roses in clay soil

Last post 04-24-2007 1:47 PM by rosemary. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-03-2007 7:41 PM

Planing new roses in clay soil

I live in Clay county, and it is appropriately named! I want to put in a dozen or so roses, and I'm wondering what soil amendments I should buy. I could have some topsoil trucked in, but that's rather inconvenient. Peat moss, etc. decomposes in a couple of years. Isn't there something I can buy at the nursery? Topsoil? Potting soil? Thanks!
  • 01-03-2007 7:41 PM In reply to

Re: Planing new roses in clay soil

I plant them in potting soil. All my roses seem to be doing very well with the clay. As long as you dont overwater them through the summer. They should grow great. Remember the clay tends to hold moisture so don't over water them.
  • 04-24-2007 1:47 PM In reply to

Re: Planing new roses in clay soil

I am new to this site, I live with Black Clay and Clalechie soil in North Texas..  We do alot of amending to the soil here for beds, especially roses.  You need to raise the beds not dig them out.  If you are digging out the black clay you will need to add about 8 inches of organic matter to the old black clay and mix with fork or tiller, let set for a while maybe a month or so and then add your roses.  After you have planted the roses, add at least 4 inches or 6 of mulch.  Use left over coffee grounds around your roses and bannana peels.  The coffee adds acid and bannana peels add potassium.  Dead head after the blooms.  I have been planting Rose's about 10 years now at this place and doing well with them.  Check out the Antique Rose Emporium in Independence Tx.  www.weAREroses.com.  I went there just yesterday and WOW.  They have old roses that do great. 

Happy Gardening,

Rosemary

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

Advertise With Us
Your Text Ad Goes Here
Let our Community know of your products and services. Your Ad dollars are well spent at RoseMagazine.com
http://www.rosemagazine.com/form/advertise.asp

Copyright © 2015 Rose Magazine Inc. All rights reserved.