in

Rose Gardening Community

A RoseMagazine.com Sponsored Community

Pruning Climing Roses

Last post 01-03-2007 12:43 PM by Anonymous. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-03-2007 12:42 PM

Pruning Climing Roses

Hi,

I have a climbing "Blaze" rose which was planted from a pot in the spring of 1999 or 2000. It has 2 main canes about the thickness of my little
    finger and approximately 8-10 feet tall. There are are only a few small spriggly branches coming from the top, and they are about a foot long each.

The few blooms it had last year came only from the top. The canes seem heallthy, dark green. The weather here now in Hopkinsville (we are in SW
    KY on the TN line) is warm this January, but I know more frost is coming.

When and how can I prune this bush for more blooms? The first year it did very well.

Thank you for your advice.

• 01-03-2007 12:42 PM In reply to

Re: Pruning Climing Roses

Hello:

A climbing rose generally does not need to be pruned other than for shape and to get rid of any dead and spindly branches.

To encourage more growth and blooms make sure it gets enough sunshine and topdress with manure
    or compost and a slow release granular fertilizer made for roses.

• 01-03-2007 12:42 PM In reply to

I have a climbing blaze rose bush that is takin over my deck. the bottom stalks are about as big around as your wrist. can i separate the two main stalks and dig up and move half of it to another spot with harming the bush ? Thanks alot.....
    Susie from southeast georgia
  • 01-03-2007 12:43 PM In reply to

Put the canes horizontal, roses that bloom only on the tops of canes release a hormone that keeps the rest from blooming. also horizontal canes stimulate laterals as the bush is pushing against gravity.

RR

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

Advertise With Us
Your Text Ad Goes Here
Let our Community know of your products and services. Your Ad dollars are well spent at RoseMagazine.com
http://www.rosemagazine.com/form/advertise.asp

Copyright © 2015 Rose Magazine Inc. All rights reserved.