Organic amendments, such as compost and composted manure, make ideal rose food because they decompose gradually and build soil. Apply these nutritious foods (a 1 gallon bucket of a dry amendment or a blend of several; 1 gallon of liquid foods) by working them into the soil around each plant in April and July:
- Alfalfa meal: contains basic nutrients and a growth regulator; roses love it.
- Cottonseed Meal: High in nitrogen; acidifies soil.
- Fish emulsion: Liquid nutrient rich food that promotes green foliage, vigorous roots, large blooms and healthy soil.
- Seaweed products: Dry or liquid forms contain plant hormones that boost growth and green foliage.
- Banana peels: Add potassium for strong canes and overall vigor.
- Epson sault: Provides magnesium for healthy development and lush green growth.